International days are marked to educate the public on issues of concern, to address global problems and to celebrate and reinforce achievements of humanity. Each international day provides the community an opportunity to organize activities related to the theme and to create public awareness on the same. Organizations, governments, public and private sectors, schools, universities and citizens make international day a springboard for awareness raising actions. In this article let us check on United Nations Day 2020 – History, Activities, quotes and Quiz. The United Nations is an international organization founded in 1945. It is currently made up of 193 Member States. The mission and work of the United Nations are guided by the purposes and principles contained in its founding Charter.
United Nations Day 2020 – Saturday, 24 October
In this article readers can get a glimpse on
- History of United Nations Day
- Ways to observe United Nations day
- United Nations Day Quotes
- United Nations Day Quiz
United Nations Day History – 2020
The United Nations is an international organization founded in 1945 after the Second World War by 51 countries met in San Francisco and committed to maintaining international peace and security, developing friendly relations among nations and promoting social progress, better living standards and human rights. The United Nations officially came into existence on 24 October 1945.
The name “United Nations“, coined by United States President Franklin D. Roosevelt was first used in the Declaration by United Nations of 1 January 1942, during the Second World War, when representatives of 26 nations pledged their Governments to continue fighting together against the Axis Powers. In 1971, the General Assembly recommended that member states observe it as a public holiday.
In 1947, the United Nations General Assembly declared 24 October, the anniversary of the Charter of the United Nations, as which “shall be devoted to making known to the people of the world the aims and achievements of the United Nations and to gaining their support for” its work.
In 1971, the United Nations General Assembly adopted a further resolution (United Nations Resolution 2782) declaring that United Nations Day shall be an international observance or international holiday and recommended that it should be observed as a public holiday by United Nations member states.I n the United States, the President has issued a proclamation each year for United Nations Day since 1948.
The 4 main objective of United Nations is as follows
- To keep peace throughout the world;
- To develop friendly relations among nations;
- To help nations work together to improve the lives of poor people, to conquer hunger, disease and illiteracy, and to encourage respect for each other’s rights and freedoms;
- To be a centre for harmonizing the actions of nations to achieve these goals
Ways to Celebrate United Nations Day – United Nations Day Activities
U.N. Day has traditionally been marked throughout the world with meetings, discussions and exhibits about the achievements and goals of the organization. Several international schools throughout India and other countries throughout the world would also celebrate the diversity of their student body on United Nations Day (although the event is not necessarily celebrated on 24 October). Celebrations often include a show of cultural performances in the evening and a food fair, where food is available from all over the world.
The following are the activities that can be conducted as part of observation of united nation day.
- Promote peace. Promote activities that will help in instilling peace and harmony in the society. As the main objective of United nations was to spread peace across the world. Help in involving voluntarily in such activities and help in promoting peace in day to day lives.
- Conflict resolutions skills has to be included as activities in day to day life to help us handle emotions. Learning to handle stress and conflict is very important to promote peace and harmony. hence activities and training can be conducted on handling emotional and mental well-being of people.
- Take part in humanitarian cause. Volunteer for charity works. Fund raise for Charity. Conduct surveys and find out the people in need of basic needs of livelihood. Conduct Humanitarian drive and involve many to work together for this cause.
- Working towards sustainable environment is also one of the major objective of United Nations. Involving in environmental activities will also help in obtaining this objective. Awareness sessions can be conducted online and people can be made aware on the importance of protecting the environment.
- United nations has marked many international days to work for many noble objectives. We can look into it and check the major issue and try resolving it up to our level best. Each one’s little contribution can make a major change.
- Work towards child rights. Work towards education rights to all. Take small steps in ensuring education for Girls. Work towards eradication of child abuse.
- Host a Speaker at your school who will highlight the work of the United Nations in the international community. Think about ways to incorporate this into an academic department, or try to collaborate with another student organization.
- Show a documentary related to a UN issue. To make an even bigger impact, charge admission and donate the money to a UN cause
- Decorate your Institution, school, dorm, or student union building in blue and white to promote UN awareness.
- Recognize a local leader and their commitment to the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Host debate, group discussions and school assembly on global issues and find solution on tackling the same.
- Arrange a seminar, involving civic leaders and media representatives.
- Ask your city or state authority to issue a UN Proclamation or a UN stamp.
- Clean up your neighborhood.
- Volunteer time to a local charitable organization.
- Make a new friend. Plant a tree.
- If you have students from various countries in your school, ask them to wear national costumes, sing national songs or simply share stories from their native countries.Organize an essay contest on the role of the UN.
- Invite a guest speaker, perhaps a diplomat with a UN background.
- Watch a video about the work of the UN.
United Nations Day Quotes
- “Peace cannot be kept by force; it can only be achieved by understanding.” — Albert Einstein
- “Peace is not absence of conflict, it is the ability to handle conflict by peaceful means.” — Ronald Reagan
- “More than ever before in human history, we share a common destiny. We can master it only if we face it together. And that, my friends, is why we have the United Nations.”
– Kofi Annan
- The United Nations, whose membership comprises almost all the states in the world, is founded on the principle of the equal worth of every human being.”- Kofi Annan
- The global work of the United Nations is not without reason compared to that of a family — striving for a common goal in concert with all members for a better future. – Kofi Annan
- “We are called upon to offer a different type of leadership – leadership strong enough to recognize that nations share common interests and people share a common humanity, and, yes, there are certain ideas and principles that are universal. That’s what those who shaped the United Nations 70 years ago understood. Let us carry forward that faith into the future – for it is the only way we can assure that future will be brighter for my children, and for yours.”- President Obama
- “I hope the United Nations will ever remain the supreme forum of peace and justice, the authentic seat of freedom” -POPE JOHN PAUL II,
- “No achievement can be higher than that of working in harmony with other nations so that the lash of war may be lifted from our backs and a peace of lasting friendship descend upon us.”- Cordell Hull
United Nations Day Quiz 2020
1. When was the United Nations set up?A)24th April 1945B)24th October 1945C)24th April 1950D) 24th October 1950Ans: B)
2. What is the term of United Nations Secretary General?
A) 3 years
B) 6 years
C) 4 years
D) 5 years
3. Who was the only Secretary General of the UNO to have died while in office?
A) U Thant
B) Dag Hammarskjöld
C) Trygve Lie
D) Kurt Waldhiem
4. In which year was the UNO awarded the Nobel Peace Prize?
Ans: C5. Which institution of the UN is like a parliament of nations which meets to consider the world’s most pressing problems?A) The General AssemblyB) The SecretariatC) The Security CouncilD)The Economic and Social CouncilAns: A)6. How many member countries did the UNO have on its formation in 1945?
7. Which organ of the United Nations has suspended its operations since 1994?
A) Trusteeship Council
B) Economic and Social Council
D) International Court of Justice
Ans: A)8. Which institution carries out the day-to-day running of the UN?A) The Trusteeship CouncilB) The General AssemblyC) The International Court of Human JusticeD) The SecretariatAns: D)9. How many official languages does the United Nations have?
10. What is the term of the President of the UN General Assembly?
A) 4 years
B) 2 years
C) 1 year
D) 5 years
Ans: C)11. The Security Council has 15 members, 5 of which are permanent members. Which of the following is not a permanent member?A) ChinaB) FranceC) UKD) GermanyAns: D)
12. Which organ of the UNO functions from Peace Palace in The Hague, The Netherlands?
A) Security Council
B) General Assembly
C) Economic and Social Council
D) International Court of Justice
Ans: D)13. What do the Initials UNESCO stand for?
A) United Nations Environmental Scientific Company
B) United Nations Economic Social Cultural OrganisationC)United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural OrganisationD)United Nations Environmental SchoolAns: C)
14. Which organ of the United Nations Organisation is responsible for coordinating the work of its specialised agencies?
A) General Assembly
B) Economic and Social Council
C) Security Council
Ans: B)15. What is the name of the United Nations specialised agency which is committed to protecting children’s rights and improving the health and education of young people?
A) FAOB) UNMIKC)UNESCOD)UNICEFAns: D)16. Which of the following is NOT a specialized agency of the United Nations Organisation?
A) World Trade Organisation
B) World Health Organisation
C) World Meteorological Organisation
D) World Intellectual Property Organisation
Ans: A)17. In countries where there has been a war, the UN can send in soldiers to help prevent any more violence. What do we call these soldiers?
A) Peacemaking Troops
B) Peaceful TroopsC) Peace Building TroopsD)Peacekeeping TroopsAns:D)18. Who coined the term United Nations?
A) Franklin D Roosevelt
B) Harry Truman
C) Winston Churchill
D) Joseph Stalin
19. Who of the following was the U.N.O.’s first Secretary General from the African continent?
A) Kofi Anan
B) Boutros Boutros-Ghali
C) Javier Perez de Cuellar
D) Ban Ki-moon
20. Which specialized agency of UNO lists World Heritage Sites?
21. On what date did the U. N. O. adopt the Universal Declaration of Human Rights?
A) 20th October, 1945
B) 24th October, 1945
C) 26th June, 1945
D) 10th December, 1948
22. Which of the following is not one of the official languages of the U.N.O.?
23. Which of the following countries is not a permanent member of the UN Security Council ?
24. Who was the first Indian to be the President of U. N. General Assembly ?
A) Natwar Singh
B) V. K. Krishna Menon
C) Smt. Vijay Laxmi Pandit
D) Romesh Bhandari
25. Who became the Secretary General of the UN on January 1st 1997?
A) Tony Blair
B) George Robertson
C) Bill Clinton
D) Kofi Annan
26. How many countries were represented at the first session of the United Nations General Assembly?
What is the name of the document which sets out the main aims of the UN and the rights and obligations of each member state?
A) The United Nations Agreement
B) The United Nations Treaty
C) The United Nations Charter
D) The United Nations Rulebook